January 05, 2010

A fresh start ... every day

"One resolution I have always made, and try always to keep is this - Rise above the little things"
~John Burroughs



For many years, I haven't bothered to make new year's resolutions because I am so terrible at sticking with them. But this year I decided to set some goals and intentions for myself and so I started looking for some information that might be useful in helping me do this better. In the past, I would try to take on too many things, quickly get overwhelmed, and give up. So this year, I'm going to pick only a few things to focus on. I haven't decided on my final list yet, but I found this article from Zen habits to be very helpful in thinking about resolutions differently. Also from Zen habits, is this article on making a fresh start every day. Perhaps my only goal really needs to be to follow these guidelines more days than not:

- Let go
- Decide what matters most today
- Clear away distractions and focus
- Find happiness now
- Reinvent yourself every day

"The secret of happiness you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less." ~Socrates

13 comments:

anna said...

This is very simply a beautiful post and one I needed to read today..thank you.

L.G. said...

Thank you for sharing this beauty, it is so true about less being more.
seems I'm re-learning this one all the time :)

Zelda was a writer said...

have a beautiful new year!
your goals are poetic and colorful!
camilla from milan

Shelley said...

great post, very inspirational! i'm going to try to remember to treat each day as its own fresh start :)

MissMomo said...

Beautiful photo !!

Caroline said...

This post made my day!!! I was having an off day and I was about to sign off but took one more minute to stop by your blog and so happy I did. I needed to read something like this today!! Thank you!! xo

Dylana Suarez said...

Love your resolutions!


Lovely blog!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Fr.Jona&son said...

I hope you will post a very long time.
So inspiring pictures. Maybe you take fashion pictures, too?
Would be great.
grettings from little austria from sonja

Heather Mattern said...

I am thrilled to have stumbled upon your little lovely home here.. your words have been very inspiring to me! I hope that 2010 is full of wonderful blessings for you!

Petergaye S. Kisielewicz of Yahgie said...

It's so great you have a goal for this year. I know you can do it. Best of luck.

s. glidden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

This is so inspirational and timely. Thanks for this!

Gretchen said...

wonderful post and as always beautiful images. thank You...