May 20, 2009

Day 1: I saw the light

Last week I attended an absolutely amazing wedding photography workshop with Cliff Mautner. The only downside was that my head nearly exploded from everything I learned.

Because I'm slowly adding portrait and wedding photography to my business, I felt the need to learn some new skills that would be a good foundation going forward. Cliff is a master when it comes to seeing and capturing light. The first day we learned how to shoot in the harsh midday sun. As photographers, we love that soft and warm early morning and late afternoon/early evening sunlight; those two hours after sunrise and before sunset. But when shooting a wedding, you have to be able to shoot in that harsh sun and come back with what you're being paid for ... beautiful photographs. Cliff taught us that we didn't need to run for the cover of open shade. We just needed to know what the heck we were doing.














More photographs from day 2 of the workshop to come.

5 comments:

aimee said...

these pictures are delightful! i love the fourth set, with the brides face in the corner and her standing by - it is absolutely beautiful and i can't wait to see more.

Anonymous said...

These photos are beautiful.. I especially love the one with the blonde woman with big white flower in her hair stroking the face of the male.

Rachel said...

These are gorgeous!! All shot in direct sun?? fabulous!

Miss B said...

I would say you are a natural Irene, these just floored me..

Kristina said...

The are beyond beautiful!! The fourth set especially is amazing! I find it so so hard to shoot in direct sunlight, especially brides in white dresses would be my nightmare. So the secret is backlight and trees and careful metering? Do spill ;)) I am loving your blog btw, I just stumbled across it and can't stop reading!